Tanya L. Freeman

New Jersey Divorce Lawyer Discusses the Next Steps After Being Served with a Divorce Complaint

I am often asked as a New Jersey Divorce Lawyer, what to do if you are served with divorce papers.

  • If a process server or sheriff came has served you with a divorce complaint, you will have 35 days to file a response. Your response may be in the form of an Answer, an Answer and Counterclaim or a Notice of Appearance. Your response will vary depending on whether you are seeking relief from the court or if you are contesting the matter.

  • Failure to respond in this allotted timeframe may result in a default judgment being entered against you.

  • An Answer is a legal document in which you respond to the allegations in the complaint for divorce. You may also wish to file a counterclaim which will contain specific relief you are requesting in the divorce.

Were you served with divorce papers and want to know what to do?  Contact New Jersey Divorce Lawyer Tanya L. Freeman for guidance.

This educational video was brought to you by Tanya L. Freeman, a New Jersey Divorce Lawyer.